Friday, April 1, 2011

Transitioning

Today is an unexpected day off, so I'm taking the opportunity to post. I have a certain amount of banked days after being so busy in the winter. Long weekends are a nice way to use those banked days. Andrea and I have been enjoying our time out here at camp. It's been 2 years since we moved here and it will be a little over 2 months until we get something to call a home. There is much anticipation for this moment when we will have a house that is actually meant to be our house.

Also we have been enjoying fellowship with a different community of believers for the last several months.We now attend church in Portage, which is a 40 minute drive from our house. The travel is no big deal, but we do have to limit how much we get involved because of it. Also having a little boy that goes to sleep at 7 limits our evening activities.

So, to clarify to myself and to any other readers I will give some of the reasons as to why we changed churches. There was no one our age in the church we previously attended that we could relate to or consider of like minded. We had not been challenged to grow or been convicted since attending there.
Also we seemed to be under the umbrella of my family church, which makes things difficult. As a preacher once said, " family relationships are fading if they are not in Christ, true fellowship is found in our relation with brothers and sisters in Christ". I'm not saying that my family is not believers, but I will say that when we are together that fact is taken for granted.

Actually I won't peg that on my family, that is the case for too many christians. Sure we are christians but that is not a fact to accept and then ignore. It's not a prerequisite for friendship that is addressed and then considered trivial in comparison to day to day small talk. I do long for the day when Christ comes back and he will be the center of our attention. Yes, I do believe he is coming back like it says in Luke 21:27-28,And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to take place, straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”


Maybe the Church we were attending was not providing for us because our own hearts were far from trying to accept that place. Were we hyper cynical and pushing the our expectations too far, I will say no. The move was necessary,and we have been ministered to by the community we now attend. It is good to go to a place where people challenge us personally. This Christian life cannot be done solo. Meeting together to study God's word and to intercede for the sinful world around us are irreplaceable things. I'm so thankful that we have the freedom to meet in this country without fear of persecution. Although some persecution might do us good, like a refinery, burning off the impurities.

Well I'm going to close this one off, it's getting kind of rambly. I haven't written in a long while.

No comments: